Daily Harvest -- 1/10/2014
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: Farm bill conference keeps slipping while dairy dispute fires up
- Widespread expectations of a farm bill conference this week evaporated Thursday with more dust getting kicked up over the dairy policy dispute. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, essentially guaranteed he will get his way on dairy.
Agri-Pulse: Tyson calls for hog farmers to provide more space for pregnant sows
- Tyson Foods sent a letter to its hog suppliers yesterday updating its animal well-being program and recommending that farmers provide more space for pregnant sows.
Agri-Pulse: Catfish wars continue as farm bill nears completion
- Catfish reappeared on Capitol Hill, as a spate of letters from opponents of a controversial UDSA inspection program began to circulate among lawmakers and officials.
Agri-Pulse: SD Senator has farm bill conservation title priorities
- (Audio) Senator John Thune, R-S.D., voted against the farm bill last year because he felt it lacked significant reform in the conservation title, but he’s hoping the legislation will be completed this month.
The Hill: Pelosi withholds judgment on $9 billion food stamp cut
- House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday did not reject outright the $9 billion in food stamp cuts that sources say are in the compromise farm bill that is nearing completion.
New York Times: After Apparent Food Stamp Deal, Dairy Rift Moves to Fore in Farm Bill Talks
- Disagreements over a program to help dairy producers when milk prices drop have emerged as a major sticking point in negotiations on a new farm bill, which had been expected to be wrapped up this week.
Agriculture.com: Farm bill likely to pay on base acres
- Senate Agriculture Committee member and past chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) said that working out the details of commodity programs remains one of the sticking points to holding a meeting of the conference committee to approve a final farm bill.
Politico: Farm bill in trouble
- House Agriculture Committee Chairman Frank Lucas conceded Thursday that final action on a farm bill conference report is now likely to slip into late January — a major blow to himself and an ominous turn for the bill itself.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Associated Press: Doctors say cutting food stamps could backfire
- Doctors are warning that if Congress cuts food stamps, the federal government could be socked with bigger health bills. Maybe not immediately, they say, but over time if the poor wind up in doctors' offices or hospitals as a result.
Kennebec Journal: LePage signs bill to label genetically modified food
- Maine becomes the second state to pass a law requiring food producers to label GMO food, but other states must follow before it goes into effect.
The Post-Standard: Schumer: Kids eat up Chobani yogurt in USDA school lunch test
- The federal government's three-month test of Chobani yogurt as a substitute for protein in school lunches has turned out to be a big success, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said today.
New York Times: Food Companies Have Cut Back on Calories, Study Says
- The companies involved, as varied as Bumble Bee Foods and Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, account for 36 percent of the calories in all packaged foods and beverages sold.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Agri-Pulse: Bill giving Obama 'fast-track' trade authority introduced in Congress
- Leaders of the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means committees today introduced legislation that would give the president “fast-track” authority to put trade deals before Congress for an up-or down vote without amendments.
FARM LABOR & IMMIGRATION
Roll Call: Boehner Says GOP Immigration Principles Will Be Released Soon
- Speaker John A. Boehner confirmed Thursday that he is preparing to release a set of “principles” and “standards” to guide the House GOP’s path forward on overhauling the nation’s immigration system.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com