Daily Harvest -- 6/25/2014
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse (audio): Opposition to EPA waters rule from coast to coast
- Opposition to the proposed rule expanding jurisdiction over waters of the United States continues to gain steam from coast to coast.
Agri-Pulse (subscriber only): Critics take aim at new Forest Service water plan
- EPA's Waters of the U.S. rule had another day under congressional scrutiny Tuesday, but this time the embattled proposal had a partner in the limelight - a Groundwater Resource Management Directive proposed by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS).
Reuters: U.S. House votes to loosen derivatives' regulations with CFTC bill
- The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday voted to weaken the Commodity Futures Trading Commission's power to regulate swaps overseas and take other steps likely to loosen regulation in derivatives markets, a shift critics say could weaken market stability.
The Hill: Committee targets EPA’s ‘secret science’
- The House Science, Space and Technology Committee voted Tuesday to advance a bill that would require the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to disclose the data it uses to write regulations.
Kansas City Star: Kansas biolab moves closer to full funding from Washington, D.C.
- The Senate Appropriations Committee Tuesday approved $300 million in construction funds for the biolab, where scientists will study toxins that could affect agriculture.
CQ Roll Call: ‘Mixed Results’ for Government’s Rural Broadband Loans
- An Agriculture Department loan program designed to foster deployment of broadband in rural areas has been criticized at times over issues such as providing loans in areas near big cities, and the scrutiny continues.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Washington Post: The word “natural” helps sell $40 billion worth of food in the U.S. every year—and the label means nothing
- The list of lucrative food labels is long, and, at times, upsetting.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Japan Times: TPP negotiations to resume next week in Ottawa
- Officials from the 12 countries involved in U.S.-led Trans-Pacific Partnership talks will gather in Ottawa from July 3 to 12, aiming to fill gaps over outstanding issues, a Japanese negotiation source said Wednesday.
Reuters: In Japan, Abe Proposes Corporate Tax Cuts and Greater Role for Women
- Early bold proposals on agriculture overhauls look to have been scaled back because of opposition from the powerful farm lobby.
Wall Street Journal: Out of Africa And Into Asia – Chocolate Makers Eye Asian Demand
- “Chocolate manufacturers are moving to Asia, out of the normal European and West African markets, to be able to meet Asian demand,” said Bruce Blakeman, vice president, corporate affairs for Cargill Inc. in Asia Pacific.
CONSERVATION, ENVIRONMENT & WILDLIFE
Agri-Pulse (subscriber only): Report explores 'Risky Business' posed by climate change
- While a report released Tuesday warns of potential disruptions to the American economy, including the farm sector, from climate change, an agribusiness leader shared how farmers will meet the challenge as they have met many throughout history - by adaptation.
Associated Press: Lawmakers urge court to block Chesapeake cleanup
- A group of 39 lawmakers is urging a federal court to block the Obama administration’s plan to clean up the Chesapeake Bay watershed, describing it as an unjustified power grab.
Agri-Pulse (video): Meet the Lawmaker: Joe Garcia, 26th District of Florida
- Congressman Joe Garcia of Florida shares his thoughts on immigration, EPA's “Waters of the U.S.” rule, and other topics in the newest installment of Meet the Lawmaker.
USA Today: Thad Cochran wins GOP Senate nod in Mississippi
- Just when the Tea Party showed signs of life, six-term GOP Sen. Thad Cochran found a way to stifle the insurgent conservatives.
Washington Post: How Thad Cochran won
- Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran's stunning runoff victory over conservative state Sen. Chris McDaniel on Tuesday night broke almost every rule of politics.
Associated Press: Early Results: Fallin, Inhofe, Cole, Lucas, Mullin All Capture GOP Nominations
- Republican U.S. Rep. Frank Lucas has defeated two challengers to win the Republican nomination to his U.S. House seat in western Oklahoma.
Associated Press: Crimes to crops: Drone display shows potential use
- At least 75 percent of the drone use in civilian airspace is expected to involve agriculture.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org