Daily Harvest -- 7/11/2014
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: USDA implementation of crop insurance programs questioned
- House Agriculture Committee members said at a hearing on Thursday they are worried about USDA's implementation of certain crop insurance provisions in the five-month old 2014 Farm Bill.
Agri-Pulse: Barge tax hike discussed at Highway Trust Fund bill markup
- An amendment that would provide additional funding to the Inland Waterways Trust Fund (IWTF) came up again today on Capitol Hill, in a Senate Finance Committee markup of bill to preserve the Highway Trust Fund. No action was taken on the measure.
Agri-Pulse: EPA chief explains RFS rule delay
- (Audio) A final rule on the volume obligations this year under the Renewable Fuel Standard is taking longer than expected. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy says they hope it will be out soon and she explains the delay.
Minneapolis Star Tribune: Report: Rail shipping delays cost Minnesota corn, soybean, wheat farmers nearly $100 million
- Delays in railroad shipping have cost Minnesota corn, soybean and wheat farmers nearly $100 million and cut deeply into the value of grain still in storage at farms across the state, according to a University of Minnesota report released at an agricultural freight conference Thursday.
Des Moines Register: Ag interests in some states seek to make farming a right
- Farming could be on track to become a right in some Midwestern states, written into law alongside the freedom of speech and religion. But don’t expect Iowa to follow.
The Hill: Dems bring shutdown talk to Senate highway bill fight
- Democrats are rallying around “shutdown” as a new favorite buzzword as the Highway Trust Fund faces a $10 billion shortfall, and the annual bills funding government agencies have stalled.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation: TPP trade talks too secret, NDP MP Don Davies says
- The NDP's trade critic says the Conservative government's negotiations on the TransPacific Partnership are unnecessarily secretive, and he's calling on the government to hold consultations on Canada's position in the 12-country talks.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Agri-Pulse: Ben & Jerry’s new flavor fuels ‘Food Fight’ over GMOs
- Ice cream maker Ben & Jerry's promoted a special flavor, “Food Fight Fudge Brownie,” on Capitol Hill today, to support labeling mandates for genetically modified food. The company committed earlier this year to phasing out any ingredients in its products derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Agri-Pulse: Vilsack offers to help schools meet nutrition standards
- Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack met with representatives from nutrition organizations today but gave no indication that the Obama administration is willing to ease school lunch requirements.
Food Safety News: USDA Sends Controversial Poultry Inspection Rule to OMB
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture submitted a draft final version of its Modernization of Poultry Slaughter Inspection rule to the Office of Management and Budget for review today.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
The Japan Times: U.S. pork industry pressures Japan for TPP concessions
- Japan should show “more flexibility” in Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations for regional free trade, U.S. National Pork Producers Council Vice President Nick Giordano said Thursday.
CONSERVATION, ENVIRONMENT & WILDLIFE
Reuters: The boy is back? El Nino seen striking within months
- The U.S. weather forecaster maintained its outlook for the El Nino weather phenomenon in its monthly update on Thursday, pegging the chances of the weather pattern striking during the Northern Hemisphere summer at 70 percent.
Kansas City Star: Kansas to pursue prairie chicken breed-and-release program
- Kansas will develop a program for breeding lesser prairie chickens in hopes of getting the federal government to back off its listing of the bird as a threatened species, Gov. Sam Brownback announced Thursday.
The Hill: EPA chief McCarthy mocks The New York Times in staff memo
- A New York Times article that credits a green group for President Obama’s signature climate change rule is “preposterous,” Environmental Protection Agency chief Gina McCarthy wrote in an internal email obtained by The Hill.
Bloomberg: Child Deportations Make It Harder to Advance Obama’s Border-Fund Bill
- President Barack Obama’s request for $3.7 billion to address thousands of children entering the U.S. illegally at the Mexican border is being met by obstacles in Congress from lawmakers in both parties.
Reuters: PwC must face $1 billion lawsuit over MF Global collapse
- A federal judge on Wednesday rejected PricewaterhouseCoopers' request to dismiss a $1 billion lawsuit accusing the auditor of providing bad accounting advice that contributed to the October 2011 collapse of MF Global Holdings Ltd, a brokerage run by former New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Kansas senator's longevity gives GOP foe opening
- Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts stoked the political brushfire he was hoping to smother during a recent Kansas City-area radio morning show.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org