Daily Harvest -- 10/29/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: RFA CEO says lowering RFS would gut the program
- (Audio) Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) CEO Bob Dineen fears the Obama Administration is about to make a huge mistake in lowering the renewable fuels requirement for ethanol under the Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS).
Agri-Pulse: Groups seek pollinator provision in farm bill
- A group of environmental and agricultural groups appealed to senators involved in the farm bill conference to include a provision to protect pollinators in the final bill.
Agri-Pulse: FCC approves rule to address rural call problems
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) unanimously adopted a rule to address rural call completion problems at a meeting today.
Tulsa World: Rep. Frank Lucas' farm experiences reflected in farm bill proposals
- This farm bill is the culmination of Lucas' nearly 20 years in Congress, and in some ways his entire life's experience.
The Hill: Thirty-nine senators urge farm bill conference to reject food stamp cuts
- A group of 39 liberal senators on Monday urged the pending farm bill conference to reject any proposed cuts to the food stamp program. The letter comes two days before the conference committee on the House and Senate-passed farm bills begins.
Associated Press: Food Stamps, Milk Prices on Table in Farm Talks
- The fight over renewing the nation's farm bill has centered on cuts to the $80 billion-a-year food stamp program. But there could be unintended consequences if no agreement is reached: higher milk prices.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Washington Post: After Friday, states will lose $5 billion in food aid
- Extra funding for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, one of the most impactful elements of the 2009 economic stimulus, expires Friday, meaning poor families in all 50 states will immediately see steep cuts in government food aid.
Politico: Have a Coke and a … GMO?
- The Coca-Cola Company is on a long list of manufacturers that sell products using ingredients derived from either corn or soy, both of which are nearly impossible to source in the United States without using genetically modified crops.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Financial Times: Louis-Dreyfus taps banks to buy out founding family
- In an interview with Swiss newspaper NZZ am Sonntag, Ms Louis-Dreyfus said she would like to buy “as many [shares] as possible” in the trader’s holding company, consolidating her control of one of the world’s largest merchants of agricultural commodities.
CONSERVATION, ENVIRONMENT & WILDLIFE
The Hill: AAA: New fuel regulations could increase gas prices at pump
- The automobile club said in a statement on Monday that the Environmental Protection Agency could cause gas prices to surge if it requires fuel refiners to blend a high percentage of ethanol in with conventional gas as part of the 2014 renewable fuel standard (RFS).
FARM LABOR & IMMIGRATION
Politico: Marco Rubio wants series of immigration bills
- Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a key congressional Republican advocate of an immigration overhaul, is now calling for reform bills that are less sweeping than the comprehensive legislation he authored this year with a bipartisan group of senators.
Deseret News: Utah farmers, ranchers want immigration reforms to meet labor needs
- The sheep industry has exemptions to the H-2A visa that are not available to other livestock producers, dairy operators and growers. Those industries must abide to the strict limits of the farm worker visa, which is intended to provide a workforce for temporary, seasonal work.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com