Daily Harvest -- 10/31/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: House, Senate conferees outline priorities for farm bill
- (Subscriber only) House and Senate lawmakers consistently identified commodity programs, crop insurance, food stamps and conservation programs as main priorities during the first conference committee meeting as they sought to find a compromise between the House and Senate farm bills.
Agri-Pulse: #FarmBill Trends on Twitter
- (Audio) #FarmBill became a trending topic on Twitter Wednesday during the first meeting of the farm bill conference committee. Some of the most tweeted comments are those mentioning how long it has taken to achieve the farm bill conference, among several others.
Politico: Farm conference opens with optimism
- Ending years of painful delays, House-Senate talks began on a new farm bill Wednesday, with renewed promises to finally complete the task by the end of December.
The Hill: Farm bill chiefs defend turf in conference
- The leaders of the new House-Senate farm bill conference laid down the law on Wednesday, declaring that they and not the leaders of the new budget conference committee will have the final say on the nearly $1 trillion 2013 farm bill.
Bloomberg: Farm Subsidies to User Fees Said to Be on Budget-Cut Menu
- House and Senate lawmakers opened their latest bipartisan attempt to curb the U.S. deficit by clashing over whether to raise revenue or cut entitlement spending. Chances are they’ll do neither.
Roll Call: Farm Bill Conference Faces Pre-Emptive Conservative Demands
- Midway through the first bipartisan, bicameral meeting of the conference committee, 27 House Republicans — led by Indiana GOP Rep. Marlin Stutzman — issued a press release calling on the conferees to retain the two-bill farm bill strategy, deployed when the chamber could not pass a comprehensive farm bill earlier this year with 218 GOP votes.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Politico: Michelle Obama policy initiatives are a big deal for big business
- On Wednesday, first lady Michelle Obama will be joined by Sesame Street’s Elmo and Rosita to unveil a new marketing effort aimed at making healthier foods more appealing to children.
Wall Street Journal: Retailers Brace for Reduction in Food Stamps
- The change will leave 48 million Americans with an estimated $16 billion less to spend over the next three years and comes just months after the expiration of a payroll tax cut knocked 2% off consumers' monthly paychecks.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Agri-Pulse: Congress should help get TTIP approval, witnesses tell lawmakers
- Congress should work with the administration on approval of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) in order to increase agricultural exports, as well as other exports, to the European Union, lawmakers and witnesses told the Senate Finance Committee during an Oct. 30 hearing.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com