Daily Harvest -- 12/10/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: Missouri's AG: No choice but to sue California over new egg standards
- (Subscriber only) Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster announced that his office is preparing to sue the state of California because of the state's new law which sets standards requiring more space for all egg-laying hens.
Agri-Pulse: Cotton, peanuts and rice farmers oppose farm bill extension
- (Audio) Gary Adams of the National Cotton Council said agriculture needs the certainty of a multi-year farm bill to make investment decisions. In the case of cotton, the cotton industry needs new farm legislation that can resolve a long standing trade dispute with farm bill.
Politico: House eying short-term farm extension
- Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has already signaled he is open to this option and a vote could come as early as Wednesday on the suspension calendar.
Inforum: Peterson: Farm bill talks close, bill heading for January vote
- After months of doubt, the top House Democrat in ongoing negotiations says lawmakers are a near a deal that would pave the way for passing a farm bill in the next month.
Roll Call: How Democrats Plan to Cut Food Stamps Without Enraging Their Base
- Negotiators on the farm bill believe they’ve found a way to make about $8 billion in savings from the program palatable for most Democrats.
Politico: Reformers could be crucial in farm bill passage
- As they push toward a final deal, the Agriculture committees have to ask themselves at each step: Who can be counted on in what could be a very tight vote on final passage?
FOOD & NUTRITION
Reuters: U.S. Fed official suggests farmers pursue GMO crop standards
- A top U.S. Federal Reserve official on Monday suggested that farmers consider a path toward internationally accepted standards for genetically modified crops, following rejections of U.S. corn shipments by China.
Bloomberg: Record Wheat Harvest Curbs Costs for Domino’s Pizza: Commodities
- Wheat farmers are harvesting a record crop for the fourth time in six years, adding to a global grain glut and cutting costs for food makers from Panera Bread Co. to Domino’s Pizza Inc.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Financial Times: Pacific Rim trade talks make progress but no deal expected
- Ministers pursuing a 12-country Pacific Rim trade deal will signal they have made good progress at the end of a crucial four-day meeting on Tuesday but are likely to fall short of closing the deal.
Wall Street Journal: Inside China's Super-Sterile Chicken Farms
- Nestled among tiny farms in this rural outpost outside Shanghai is a huge, supersanitary chicken farm—a bold bet by Tyson Foods Inc. that it can thrive in China by overhauling a decades-old business model.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com