Daily Harvest -- 6/24/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: Washington Week Ahead: After farm bill collapse, House may look at Ag appropriations
- Fallout from the House’s failure to pass a five-year farm bill is expected to continue this week as the Rules Committee will consider an appropriations bill for the USDA, FDA, and related agencies.
Politico: How the farm bill failed
- A closer look at farm bill voting tallies and the Southerland amendment that helped doom passage.
Agri-Pulse: Merrigan: Farm bill avoided real nutrition debate
- The former deputy and a group of industry insiders say lawmakers avoided the truly important discussions about the underpinnings of U.S. nutrition policy during the farm bill debate.
Roll Call: No Easy Fix for House Leaders in the Shambles of the Farm Bill Vote
- House leaders must determine how they can pick up the pieces after a bipartisan rejection of the farm bill but there may be no easy fix.
National Journal: Farm Leaders Share Blame for House Debacle
- Too many groups are looking out only for their own interests at the expense of good public policy on agriculture.
Kansas City Star: In farm bill’s collapse, some see an ill omen
- Midwestern Republicans and Democrats struggled Friday to assess the full damage caused by the stunning collapse of a new farm bill just 24 hours earlier.
Washington Post: Farm bill’s death provokes few tears
- Editorial calls farm bill defeat good news and a chance for additional reforms.
Chicago Tribune: Farm bill smackdown
- Editorial board calls for breaking farm from nutrition programs in farm bill
Washington Post: Boehner’s House implodes over flawed farm bill
- In this opinion piece, E.J. Dionne says Republican leadership’s humiliating defeat on the farm bill was as clear a lesson as we’ll get about the real causes of dysfunction in the nation’s capital
FOOD & NUTRITION
Boston Globe: Will new laws make your foo
- Despite improved techniques to help trace the sources of food contamination, current food safety regulations have not prevented dangerous contamination from happening in the first place.
CONSERVATION, ENVIRONMENT & WILDLIFE
Agri-Pulse: Open Mic with Dr. Robert Fraley
- Dr. Rob Fraley, one of the winner of the 2013 World Food Prize talks about his role in revolutionary biotechnology discoveries, working with Dr. Borlaug, and GMO wheat in Oregon.
Monsanto says evidence proves GE wheat finding is "suspicious"
- Monsanto officials said today that evidence in the investigation of genetically engineered wheat plants found in an Oregon field last month suggests an intentional contamination.
FARM LABOR & IMMIGRATION
Agri-Pulse: Cabinet members and ag interests pushing for immigration reform
- Vilsack, Napolitano, DFA, mushroom growers explain importance of immigration reform for agriculture
Politico: Senate immigration bill: Top five questions
- Several questions remain as the Senate prepares to take up immigration reform today.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org