Daily Harvest -- 7/11/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: House leaders gamble on revamped farm bill, minus nutrition cuts
- The House is expected to vote this morning on a revamped farm bill (H.R. 2642) that would exclude the nutrition title and repeal a major stronghold for agricultural interests, the 1949 and 1938 permanent law. First votes are expected at 10:30 a.m.
Washington Post: House Republicans dropping food stamps from farm bill; White House threatens veto
- The White House said food stamps should not be left out of the bill. The Obama administration had also threatened to veto the original bill, saying it did not include enough reductions to farm subsidies and the food stamp cuts were too severe.
Politico: House GOP pushes on farm bill
- The House Rules Committee met Wednesday night to clear the path, and a fresh 608-page text was filed, minus Title IV covering nutrition programs like food stamps.
The Hill: House moves to set up vote on split farm bill
- The House will vote Thursday on a split farm bill containing updated subsidies for farmers but lacking a reauthorization of the food stamp program.
Agri-Pulse: Tension builds over farm-only farm bill
- Although major agriculture groups oppose the effort, House Republicans defend voting on a split farm bill as a last resort for passing farm policy reform.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Agri-Pulse: Op-Ed: Grocers meet in Washington to discuss GMO labeling
- If an industry adopted label is used and included in the FDA label, then the value of the FDA label will be lessened. An FDA label will no longer be about science, but rather about the ability to apply political pressure, state by state.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Agri-Pulse: Senators question proposed purchase of Smithfield by Chinese company
- Senate Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., has been highly skeptical of the deal in terms of what it may mean for U.S. food companies, food safety, and food security.
The Hill: Smithfield Foods vows business as usual after Chinese takeover
- Wednesday’s Senate hearing brought warnings of dire long-term consequences from members of the panel and witnesses, who argued that China would never allow an American acquisition of a Chinese company on such a large scale.
FARM LABOR & IMMIGRATION
New York Times: Republicans in House Resist Overhaul for Immigration
- Meeting for the first time as a group to hash out their approach to immigration, House Republicans on Wednesday came down overwhelmingly against a comprehensive overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws.
Politico: GOP reaching out to Dems on immigration
- The House Republican leadership is reaching out to top House Democrats to assess their support for a piecemeal approach to immigration reform, according to sources involved in the discussions.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com