Daily Harvest -- 5/30/2013
Here's your daily summary of top news from www.Agri-Pulse.com
and other national and regional headlines from across the country.
Do you know of someone who should also be on our list? Please ask them to click here
FARM & RURAL POLICY
Agri-Pulse: Senate Farm Bill Amendment Targets EPA Release of Personal Information
- Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, is cosponsoring an amendment to the Senate farm bill that would prevent EPA from releasing the personal information of livestock and poultry producers.
Sacramento Bee: Tom Vilsack, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, to Speak at National Press Club, June 5
- Vilsack will discuss the problem of food waste in the United States and highlight solutions to improve sustainability.
San Francisco Chronicle: Baucus eyes summer deal on farm bill
- Baucus held a round-table discussion with farmers and agricultural groups in Great Falls, Mont., where groups told him they are concerned about proposed cuts to crop insurance.
Lincoln Journal Star: Wind farm bill among measures given final approval
- State lawmakers in Nebraska gave final approval to a wind farm bill that would offer tax incentives that could lead to Nebraska getting a $300 million to $400 million wind farm project by TradeWind Energy of Lenexa, Kan.
Politico: Heritage ads attack farm bill
- Campaign targets Chairman Frank Lucas, Reps. Martha Roby, Rick Crawford and Mike McIntyr
Boston.com: Boston aims to eliminate red tape around urban agriculture; meetings set to discuss proposed rezoning
- Boston officials are preparing to present a draft version of new citywide zoning rules designed to expand opportunities for urban agriculture.
Times Dispatch: U.S. agriculture secretary promotes regional foods in Va. today
- Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is promoting regional food systems with a stop at Blue Ridge Produce in Culpeper County.
Agri-Pulse: Op-Ed: How to expand broadband access in Rural America
- Jim Byrum, President of the Michigan Agri-Business Association, writes an op-ed on creating and updating telecom policies that support the expansion of broadband networks.
FOOD & NUTRITION
Agri-Pulse: Unapproved GE wheat found in Oregon field
- USDA announced it is conducting an “active investigation” into a genetically engineered variety of glyphosate-resistant wheat that was found growing in an Oregon wheat field.
New York Daily News: Non-approved GMO wheat discovered in Oregon field: USDA
- The article notes the discovery comes on the heels of heightened protests against Monsanto and other producers of genetically modified foods.
Forbes: A Chef's Journey From Table To Farm
- Forbes looks at Chef Ian Lai and his gardening school for children
Boston Globe: Idle farm reborn with community-supported agriculture
- Article discusses the growth of community supported agriculture farms made possible with the help of the Henry P. Kendall Foundation.
Agri-Pulse: Dairy groups push Nevada governor to veto raw milk sales
- The National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) and the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) ask Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) to veto pending legislation that would allow the sale of raw milk to consumers in his state.
TRADE & INTERNATIONAL
Agri-Pulse: Lawmakers criticize Chinese company bid to buy Smithfield
- Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, expressed concern over agricultural consolidation, while Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., focused on food safety issues.
Agri-Pulse: Vilsack happy with OIE choice to upgrade U.S. risk level for BSE
- Agriculture Secretary Vilsack said with an upgraded risk classification, the nation should be able to continue increasing exports of U.S. beef and beef products.
Wall Street Journal: China Makes Biggest U.S. Play
- WSJ (Sub Required) on Smithfield buyout. CEO says other bidders might emerge
Washington Post: Smithfield Foods to be bought by Chinese firm Shuanghui International
- Washington Post says Smithfield deal may become a test of U.S. Attitudes toward China.
© Agri-Pulse Communications 2016. All rights reserved.
Subscription questions or "Opt Out" from these Daily Harvest emails ? (573) 873-0800 or email Us: email@example.com