Chairman-elect Lucas names Subcommittee chairs for House Ag
By Sara Wyant
© Copyright Agri-Pulse Communications, Inc.
Washington, Dec. 22 - Frank Lucas of Oklahoma named six members to serve as Subcommittee Chairmen of the House Agriculture Commitee and also released the complete 26-member Republican roster for the 112th Congress. Additionally, Rep. Lucas announced that Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia will serve as Vice Chairman of the full committee, which is expected to still have 46 members although that number has not been finalized.
Chairman-elect Lucas designated the following Subcommittee Chairmen and their jurisdictions (listed alphabetically by subcommittee name):
- Rep. Glenn “GT” Thompson (PA-5): Conservation, Energy, and Forestry
Jurisdiction: Soil, water, and resource conservation, small watershed program, energy and biobased energy production, rural electrification, forestry in general and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
- Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (NE-1): Department Operations, Oversight, and Credit
Jurisdiction: Agency oversight, review and analysis, special investigations, and agricultural credit.
- Rep. K. Michael Conaway, (TX-11): General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
Jurisdiction: Program and markets related to cotton, cottonseed, wheat, feed grains, soybeans, oilseeds, rice, dry beans, peas, lentils, the Commodity Credit Corporation, risk management, including crop insurance, commodity exchanges, and specialty crops.
- Rep. Tom Rooney (FL-16): Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry
Jurisdiction: Livestock, dairy, poultry, meat, seafood and seafood products, inspection, marketing, and promotion of such commodities, aquaculture, animal welfare, and grazing.
- Rep. Jean Schmidt (OH-2): Nutrition and Horticulture
Jurisdiction: Food stamps, nutrition and consumer programs, fruits and vegetables, honey and bees, marketing and promotion orders, plant pesticides, quarantine, adulteration of seeds and insect pests, and organic agriculture.
- Rep. Timothy V. Johnson (IL-15): Rural Development, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture
Jurisdiction: Rural Development, farm security and family farming matters, biotechnology, foreign agriculture assistance, and trade promotion programs, generally.
The list of Republican members of the Agriculture Committee follows (new members are listed alphabetically):
Frank D. Lucas (OK), Chairman-elect
Bob Goodlatte (VA), Vice Chairman-elect
Timothy V. Johnson (IL)
Steve King (IA)
Randy Neugebauer (TX)
K. Michael Conaway (TX)
Jeff Fortenberry (NE)
Jean Schmidt (OH)
Glenn Thompson (PA)
Tom Rooney (FL)
Rick Crawford (AR)
Scott DesJarlais (TN)
Renee Elmers (NC)
Stephen Fincher (TN)
Bob Gibbs (OH)
Chris Gibson (NY)
Vicky Hartzler (MO)
Tim Huelskamp (KS)
Randy Hultgren (IL)
Reid Ribble (WI)
Martha Roby (AL)
Bobby Schilling (IL)
Austin Scott (GA)
Steve Southerland (FL)
Marlin Stutzman (IN)
Scott Tipton (CO)
To return to the News Index page, click: http://www.agri-pulse.com/
1. New House Ag Committee taking shape
2. Organic reform
3. Vilsack exits USDA week early, Trump promises nominee 'soon'
4. Ditching WOTUS may be tough, government lawyers say
5. High court to decide where WOTUS case should be heard