The National Pork Producers Council says it plans to hold the World Pork Expo this year, marking the return of the event after a two-year hiatus due to a pair of global animal and human health concerns.
The Expo - which typically draws about 20,000 people - will take place June 9-11 in Des Moines, Iowa,
NPPC President Jen Sorenson says the organization looks forward to connecting with fellow producers and other business partners.
She said the organization will continue to monitor COVID-19 guidelines to ensure all participants and people who attend the event can be safe and healthy.
Interested in more news on farm programs, trade and rural issues? Sign up for a four-week free trial to Agri-Pulse. You’ll receive our content - absolutely free - during the trial period.
“A safe event is our number one priority,” said Sorenson. “We will implement appropriate precautionary measures to ensure a great experience for all World Pork Expo participants.”
The event was canceled each of the last two years. It was canceled in 2019 out of an “abundance of caution” due to fears of African Swine Fever, a deadly pig disease that ravaged China and several European countries. The disease has not yet been detected in North America.
Last year, it was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more news, go to www.Agri-Pulse.com.