Agri-Pulse is pleased to welcome Nutrien as the Platinum sponsor for the 2021 Ag & Food Policy Summit. This year's virtual summit will feature three half-day sessions, March 22-24, with the theme: "Climate Risks, Rewards and Uncertainties."
"Consumers, food processors and growers alike are worried about climate-related threats and how to deal with them in a way that is both environmentally and economically sustainable. We really appreciate our sponsors and participants who are supporting this important conversation," said Sara Wyant, Agri-Pulse editor and founder.
In a recent Iowa Farm and Rural Life Poll, over half of farmers surveyed indicated they are concerned about climate change's potential impacts on their operations. That was an increase from 35 percent in 2011.
"Throughout our virtual summit, we hope to bring a wide variety of stakeholders together to discuss the policy, science and practices facing agriculture and food systems," added Wyant. This virtual event will include a half-day morning session on March 22, along with half-day afternoon sessions on March 23 and 24.
"Nutrien is honored to serve as the Platinum sponsor for the 2021 Ag & Food Policy Summit," said Jeremy Stump, vice president of Global Government and Industry Affairs, Nutrien. "We believe this year's topic 'Climate Risks, Rewards and Uncertainties' is critically important. Nutrien is calling on government and industry stakeholders to come together to evolve the system and policies needed to unlock the potential of the agriculture sector as a leader in climate action while meeting the challenge of feeding a growing global population."
Summit discussions will focus on research needs, potential costs, carbon payments, federal policy options, proposed regulatory changes and more.
Invited and confirmed speakers include but are not limited to:
- Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture nominee
- Robert Bonnie, Deputy chief of staff for policy and senior advisor on climate at USDA
- House Agriculture Committee Chairman David Scott, D-Ga.
- House Agriculture Committee Ranking Member Glenn Thompson, R-Pa.
- Senate Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich.
- Senate Agriculture Committee Ranking member John Boozman, R-Ark.
- Senator Chris Coons, D-Del.
- Senator Mike Braun, R-Ind.
- Chuck Magro, Nutrien
- Debbie Reed, Ecosystem Services Market Consortium
- Frank Mitloehner, UC Davis
- Marty Matlock, University of Arkansas
- Barb Glenn, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
- Leslie Sarasin, FMI – The Food Industry Association
- Mikel Hancock, Walmart
- Chuck Conner, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives
- Zippy Duvall, American Farm Bureau Federation
- Elizabeth Gore, Environmental Defense Fund
- Rob Larew, National Farmers Union
- Dr. Dewayne Goldmon, National Black Growers Council
- Chris Harbourt, Indigo Carbon
- Jason Weller, Truterra
- Tom Worth, Risk Management Agency
- Tara Smith, Crop Insurance and Reinsurance Bureau
- Dave Tenny, National Alliance of Forest Owners
Additional sponsors include:
Gold: American Farm Bureau Federation, Corteva, Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative, Farm Credit, FLM Harvest, Indigo Ag, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, and Syngenta.
Silver: Environmental Defense Fund
Bronze: Ag Council of America, American Sugar Alliance, American Seed Trade Association, Farmer Mac, John Deere, Nationwide, National Crop Insurance Services, Pivot Bio, and Truterra.
Registration is available here.