Protein is a critically important part of a basic diet but how can the global animal protein sector continue to sustainably feed a growing and increasingly hungry world? That question is at the core of the upcoming forum, Sustainable Solutions for Zero Hunger by 2030: A Vision for Animal Agriculture, scheduled virtually for 12-5 p.m. ET on Sept. 14th.
“According to the United Nations, we just have nine years left to change the course of climate change and ultimately the future of our planet; meanwhile a full 30% of the world’s population lacked year-round access to adequate nutrition in 2020. From hunger to obesity, people are getting the wrong nutrition,” said Jeff Simmons, president and CEO at Elanco.
“Making a difference on these seemingly conflicting, pressing issues will require unprecedented, transformational change. Animals are uniquely positioned to be a critical solution at the center of both of these issues. This is a pivotal moment for global animal agriculture to convene, collaborate and identify opportunities that can become action plans to bridge the hunger gap, achieve climate goals and unlock a new frontier of value for producers,” Simmons added.
“Nutrient-dense animal proteins provide a powerful remedy to address hunger and malnutrition,” says Agri-Pulse Editor Sara Wyant. “This will be a great opportunity to discuss how farmers and ranchers are reimagining the way they grow animals to improve environmental performance, reduce and reverse carbon utilization, and build a more inclusive and resilient food supply for those most in need.”
Presented in partnership with Elanco and Agri-Pulse, the Forum will bring together producers, processors, policy leaders, and stakeholders, among other players. Confirmed speakers include:
- Agnes Kalibata, United Nations Special Envoy, Food Systems Summit
- Hon. Jewel Bronaugh, Deputy Secretary of Agriculture
- Hon. John Boozman, U.S. Senator and Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Jim Barnhart, USAID, Deputy Director Feed the Future,
- Jeff Simmons, President and CEO, Elanco Animal Health
- Amb. Ertharin Cousin, President and CEO, Food Systems for the Future
- Adebgola T. Adesogan, Ph.D., Director, Feed The Future Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems, University of Florida
- Mike McCloskey, Co-Founder and CEO, Select Milk Producers
- Kim Stackhouse-Lawson, Ph.D., Director of the Sustainable Livestock Systems Collaborative, Colorado State University
- Sara Place, Ph.D., Chief Sustainability Officer, Elanco Animal Health
- Jason Clay, Ph.D., Senior Vice President of Markets and Executive Director of the Markets Institute, World Wildlife Fund
The event will bring together key leaders across the animal protein food chain from around the world to discuss the next steps of food production’s sustainable transformation, its ability to fight hunger and its durability against shocks.
Join us to participate in this forum and be part of the conversation. To register, click here:
For a full agenda, click here.