Sentiment is growing for the Environmental Protection Agency to establish some type of cutoff for use of dicamba next year, when the agency makes it decision on whether to allow use of the controversial herbicide in 2019.
The Environmental Protection Agency failed to take into account the risks associated with dicamba before allowing Monsanto's Xtendimax formulation of the herbicide to be used for the 2017 growing season, lawyers for environmental groups and small family farms told a federal appeals court Wednesday.
Bayer, which now includes Monsanto, will continue to defend itself from lawsuits alleging that the active ingredient in the herbicide Roundup does not cause cancer, the company’s CEO told financial analysts in a teleconference Thursday.
Growers, weed scientists and manufacturers are keeping a close eye on early reports of off-target movement of dicamba, as spraying of the herbicide kicks into full gear throughout soybean- and cotton-growing states.
A group of Arkansas state legislators has approved a ban on dicamba use between April 16 and Oct. 31 of this year, meaning that soybean and cotton growers will not be able to use Monsanto's Xtendimax or BASF's Engenia for over-the-top applications.
As if the 2016 and 2017 growing seasons weren’t evidence enough of dicamba’s potential to stray from its intended target, representatives of Monsanto and BASF presented ag retailers last week with a laundry list of application mistakes to avoid in 2018.